Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week 5

Tuesday-
The first half of class was dedicated to mannequins.  We started adding the adductors, which are more of the inner upper thigh.  They weren’t too hard; they were mostly all pretty thin long strips all overlapping and sort of fanning out from one another.  There are the “long”, “short”, “great”, and “graceful” adductors. As for the quads that were due for today, I was the only one who did the vastus laterali (outer thigh above the knee cap) too large, and I learned that I have to remember the rectus femoris (inner thigh above the knee cap) is a long teardrop shape for visual reference.

As for our gesture drawings today I focused on the ribs, the pelvis, and the thigh since that is what we learned about thus far and I didn’t want to try and add too much and then confuse myself since they are rushed as it is.  It is cool to see your progress through the day when you do so many quick drawings and focus on such a little area.  I definitely need a lot more work, but I am feeling better and starting to see the pelvic bone more.  Ironically enough, the three pictures I have from class today are a side view, a front view, and a back view.  For the back view, it really helps me to visualize the butterfly shape that is formed.

 


Thursday-
Drew the whole time today!  We worked up our gesture drawings to an hour long pose. It was alot of observing and trying to see the pelvic bone and surrounding muscles for me. It was nice to get time to step back and really look and not be so rushed with short poses. As for mannequins we are adding the hamstrings and the sartorius, the longest muscle in our body. Happy weekend everyone! :)



3 comments:

  1. I also loved having an hour pose and not being able to rush.
    I like your long pose drawing, I think you did well with proportions and exaggerating the muscles. The leg muscle especially looks nice and you can tell how the for is laying. I think the middle of you drawing where the abs are gets a little confusing. I think if you drew lighter it would be easier to erase and then there wouldn't be so much smudging. Otherwise, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet gestures. They are quite strong. The long pose drawing is really good as well. I agree with allie on it being a little too smudgy. Try sharpening your charcoal more and applying a lighter line (I know its much harder than it sounds).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found thinking of the back pelvic area as a butterfly helpful. Although a few of my drawings looked a little TOO much like a butter fly haha. I think you are definitely coming along.

    ReplyDelete